ISTANBUL: President Erdogan declared a Day of Mourning after Thirty eight people were killed and 166 severely wounded in a twin bombing attack that struck Istanbul on Saturday after a home football match hosted by top side Besiktas, Turkish interior minister Suleyman Soylu said.
Thirty of those killed were police, seven were civilians and one victim is as yet unidentified, he told reporters in Istanbul, adding that 10 suspects had already been detained over the bombing.
A car bomb detonated outside the Vodafone Arena football stadium on the shores of the Bosphorus after the Super Lig match between Besiktas and Bursaspor while a suicide attacker struck a nearby park, officials said.
The authorities did not say who was behind the blasts but the attacks were the latest in a year that has seen Istanbul and other Turkish cities rocked by a string of attacks blamed on Islamic State jihadists and Kurdish militants.
“An act of terror targeted our security forces and citizens at Besiktas tonight,” President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in a statement. Besiktas is also the name of the neighbourhood around club’s arena.
Erdogan said the blasts shortly after the end of the match sought to cause maximum loss of life.