The 30-year-old leader of the Bheem Army Bharat Ekta Mission, lodged in Saharanpur jail since June last year, will be released soon, officials said.
The Uttar Pradesh government Thursday revoked the National Security Act (NSA) against Bheem Army founder Chandrashekhar, setting the stage for his release more than a year after he was jailed for his alleged role in clashes between Thakurs and Dalits in Saharanpur.
“After considering a representation submitted by Chandrashekhar’s mother, the state government decided to revoke the NSA against him and two others. The decision will be conveyed to the Saharanpur district administration, which will issue orders to the jail to release them,” Arvind Kumar, Principal Secretary (Home), said.
Chandrashekhar was arrested, along with two others, in connection with the clashes in Saharanpur in May 2017, leading to the death of two persons.
He was granted bail by the Allahabad High Court in November 2017 before the government detained him under the NSA.
Officials said that the two others against whom the NSA was invoked in the case along with Chandrashekhar — Shiv Kumar and Sonu — would also be released. “Chandrashekhar’s NSA term was to end on November 1 this year, while the terms of Shiv Kumar and Sonu were to end on October 14,” said a government official.
On May 5, 2017, Dalits and Thakurs clashed over a procession by Thakurs who were on their way to attend an event related to Maharana Pratap’s anniversary in the Bargaon area. On May 23, after BSP chief Mayawati held a rally in the district, another clash between the two sides resulted in the death of a Dalit youth.
Three Thakur residents of Ambehta Chand village — Sompal alias Sonu (25), Sudhir (28) and Vilas alias Raju (24) – also faced charges under NSA in this case. But the Allahabad High Court quashed the charges against them after which they were released this month.
Source: The Indian Express