Two cops were injured, accused weren’t handcuffed, reveals Cyberabad Police Commissioner

Two police officers of the Telangana police incurred injuries during the exchange of fire with the rape-accused, said VC Sajjanar – Police Commissioner, Cyberabad while addressing a press conference on Friday.

Hyderabad: Senior officials of the Telangana police have finally broken their silence over their actions which led to the deaths of four accused in the rape-murder of a 27-year-old veterinarian. In a press conference, Cyberabad commissioner of police VC Sajjanar has stated that the four accused were killed during an exchange of gunfire and not in an encounter.

He also said that two police officers incurred “head and grievous injuries” during the incident. They have been identified as constable Arvind Gaudu and station in-charge Venkateshwar of the Nandigama police station. The commissioner also categorically denied that any of the injured police officers suffered bullet wounds. He went further to state that police-issue guns were recovered from the hands of two of the accused.

Sajjanar further told media persons that a team of ten police personnel accompanied the four accused to the spot in Chatanpally after they told investigators that they had dumped the victim’s power bank, watch and cell phone at the spot where locals found her charred body on the morning of November 28. “Our team arrived at 5:30 am this morning and the four accused started attacking the police with sticks and stones,” said the commissioner of police.

“Two of the accused snatched the unlocked weapons of police personnel and started firing despite being given multiple warnings to surrender. Police had to fire in retaliation and this led to the death of the four accused,” he added. When asked whether the accused were handcuffed, the commissioner clarified that they were not. When asked whether the accused were handcuffed, the commissioner clarified that they were not. He also said that they knew how to use weapons.

The Cyberabad police commissioner of police has said that the two injured personnel are being treated at a local hospital. Responding to questions whether the police took law into its own hands, Sajjanar said, “law has done its duty”. He did not, however, reveal the number of bullets that were fired during the exchange and said that the same will be revealed only after the forensic examination is completed and when the report comes out.

Source: Times Now