Sonia Gandhi on Galwan clash: Patiently waited for a year but no clarity

She urged the government to take the nation into confidence and ensure their performance is worthy of the commitment of the soldiers standing bravely and resolutely at the borders.

Congress chief Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday attacked the government over a lack of clarity on the killing of 20 Indian soldiers in a clash with Chinese troops in Ladakh’s Galwan Valley on June 15 last year. An undisclosed number of Chinese troops were also killed in the first such clash between Indian and Chinese troops along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in over five decades.

“Having patiently waited for the government to come clean and inform the nation about the circumstances in which the unprecedented incident happened and reassure the people that the sacrifice of our brave jawans was not in vain, the Congress Party reiterates its concern that no clarity is yet available and the Prime Minister’s last word on the subject a year ago was that no transgression had occurred,” said Gandhi in a statement.

She added the Congress has repeatedly sought information on the episode and details on what progress has been made to return to the status quo ante along the LAC. Gandhi said the disengagement agreement with China has proved to be a disadvantage to India. She urged the government to take the nation into confidence and ensure their performance is worthy of the commitment of the soldiers standing bravely and resolutely at the borders.

There was no immediate response to Gandhi’s comments from the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party or the government.

Source: Hindustan Times

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here