Jared Fogle, Ex-Subway Pitchman, to Plead Guilty to Child Sex and Pornography Charges

Jared Fogle, the once popular former pitchman for Subway sandwich restaurants, intends to enter a guilty plea to sex acts with minors and distributing child pornography, federal court documents show.

As part of a plea agreement, Mr. Fogle is expected to pay $100,000 in restitution to each of 14 minor victims, and to receive a sentence of at least five years.

Surrounded by attorneys and United States Marshals, Mr. Fogle arrived at an Indianapolis court on Wednesday morning, according to local news reports.

According to the documents, Mr. Fogle was charged with receiving and distributing sexually explicit images of minors and traveling across state lines to pay for sex with minors. A statement from the United States attorney’s office said that Josh Minkler, the federal prosecutor for Indiana’s Southern District, would publicly discuss the charges at a 12:30 press conference.

The news of Mr. Fogle’s plea came over a month after investigators raided his home in the suburbs of Indianapolis. Mr. Fogle’s name had been associated with an earlier case related to his nonprofit organization, The Jared Foundation, which encouraged healthy eating habits in children.

In Mississippi, defenders of state’s Confederate-themed flag dig in

In that case, Russell C. Taylor, 43, the former executive director of Mr. Fogle’s Jared Foundation, was charged in May with seven counts of production and one count of possession of child pornography. Acting on a tip that Mr. Taylor possessed pornographic images of children, authorities recovered over 400 videos of child pornography on computers and storage media from Mr. Taylor’s home office in Indianapolis.

The documents say that Mr. Fogle received sexual images and videos from Mr. Taylor depicting girls and boys as young as 6 years old. Mr. Fogle is accused of knowing that Mr. Taylor learned the addresses of some of the minors. Mr. Fogle is said to have met with some of them during social events.

Mr. Fogle is also charged with using websites to arrange for sex acts with minors, and of traveling to the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan in 2012 to pay for sex with a 17-year-old girl. He later told the girl that he would “really make it worth her while” if she set him up with someone younger. He is accused of frequently arranging his travel plans to coincide with such pursuits.

On Wednesday, local media outlets reported that Mr. Fogle’s wife, Katie, said that she would divorce him.

“Obviously, I am extremely shocked and disappointed by the recent developments involving Jared,” she said through a statement, adding, “My focus is exclusively on the well-being of my children.”

Mr. Fogle first gained national attention 15 years ago for losing more than 200 pounds on his so-called Subway diet, a regimine he crafted while studying at Indiana University.

“I was reborn in every sense of the word,” Mr. Fogle told the campus newspaper in 1999. “Subway helped save my life and start over. I can’t ever repay that.”

His story was heavily marketed by Subway, but after the July raid on Mr. Fogle’s home in Zionsville, Ind., Subway abruptly put its relationship with him on hold.

“Subway and Jared Fogle have mutually agreed to suspend their relationship due to the current investigation,” the company said in a statement at the time. “Jared continues to cooperate with authorities and he expects no actions to be forthcoming. Both Jared and Subway agree that this was the appropriate step to take.”

The restaurant immediately began erasing Mr. Fogle’s image from its website and stores.

On Tuesday evening, Subway issued a more forceful statement: “We no longer have a relationship with Jared and have no further comment.”

LEAVE A REPLY